The next community gardening and composting session at the Cooper Park herb and vegetable beds will be on Saturday 21 January from 10.30-12.30. Do drop by for all or part of it, get involved, and have a chat about the project.
You are of course free to harvest herbs and veg growing in the beds in the meantime too!
Some of the perennial herbs are still on the go especially sage and rosemary.
There is kale and the black or Russian kale to be picked – please take a few leaves from several plants to keep the plants growing rather than taking a whole plant.
Here are a couple of kale recipes:
Kale crisps (serves 4)
- 200g shredded kale
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt & Pepper (or try using flavoured seasonings such as Cajun or Jerk)
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Toss the kale with oil, season with salt and pepper. Spread out onto 2 large baking trays and bake for 15-20 minutes, swapping the trays over half way through, until crispy.
Hearty Kale Soup (serves 4)
- 75g pearl barley
- 1.4 litre vegetable stock
- 1 leek, thickly sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 250g of kale
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (harvest some parsley from our herb planters in Elgin High Street!)
- Cook the barley in the stock gently for 30 minutes in a large covered saucepan or until just tender. Add the vegetables, cover and cook for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste.
For more kale recipes, including a kale, avocado and green tea smoothie (!), check out www.discoverkale.co.uk